CHSLive

Filed under News Stories, Stories

#1 Cleveland vs Father Ryan Wrestling Preview

It’s one of the biggest weekends of the wrestling season for the Blue Raiders. It’s the weekend of the Cleveland Duals.

But TONIGHT is the Alumni wrestling match at the Jones Center.

Head wrestling coach Joey Knox is encouraging the student body to come show out in full force TONIGHT at the Jones Center for the biggest home match of the year thus far.

Both teams have a variety of state-recognized wrestlers. Sophomore Trae McDaniel told CHSLive that three wrestlers stand out for the Fightin’ Irish of Father Ryan — 106 #3 Calvin Easton, 113 #5 Brooks McAfee, and the top ranked wrestler in the state in 160, Lawrence Madson.

McDaniel also told CHSLive Madson cut weight, though, so he’ll be wrestling under his usual class. Reigning state champ Austin Sweeney will match up with Madson, and it’s shaping up to be the best of the night.

As of December 3rd, the ranked wrestlers for the Blue Raiders are as follows:

106 – #1 Trae McDaniel

113 – #1 Jackson Bradford

132- #2 Logan Whiteside

145 – #3 Grant Lundy

152 – #1 Austin Sweeney

182 – #1 Dylan Jones

195 – #2 Isaah Perez

220 – #3 Wilson Benefield

285 – #2 Titus Swafford

That’s a list right there.

It says something about not only the talent but the coaching we have here at Cleveland. It feels like the Blue Raider program just keeps churning out elite wrestlers. Names that come to mind are Ethan West, Ezra Taylor, Chris Debien, Haden Hamliton, Austin Oliver, Jack Hicks, and a lot more elite wrestlers over the years.

Now, we’ve got one of the most talented teams we’ve ever had… and that’s incredible.

Cleveland is the top ranked team in all divisions in the state. They’re top 50 in the nation. I don’t expect them to lose at all this year. Coach Knox and company have continued the winning tradition in Cleveland wrestling. They’ll beat Father Ryan, win the Duals tomorrow, and it won’t be close.

About the Writer
Drew Cook, Executive Producer / Editor

Drew Cook is a senior at Cleveland High School. He's been a part of the CHSLive program since 8th grade. Drew's the play-by-play commentator for football...