CHSLive

Filed under News Stories, Stories

Cleveland (2-3) vs Heritage (0-6) Preview

Last Friday, Cleveland bounced back against a winless Walker Valley team, and they’re seemingly back on track. Jeffrey Perez finally had a breakout game, and broke the game open on an 85 yard screen pass that he took to the house.

This Friday, they’ve got another winless team on the schedule, and based on common opponents, Heritage may be the worst team on Cleveland’s schedule this year.

But that doesn’t mean the Blue Raiders can let up. It just means the Mountaineers will be hungrier than ever.

A year ago, Cleveland struggled in the first half against a 3-7 Heritage team before bouncing back to win 47-34. But both of those teams are a lot different than they once were. Both have had rough starts to the year,  but Cleveland looks to continue their upward trend this year beginning on Friday.

Cleveland:

Jeffrey Perez and the Cleveland offense are looking to continue rolling against this struggling Heritage team. Jackson Moore kept the offense consistent last game, and he looks to do the same in Maryville this week. Look for Bug Bowman to reestablish himself as a key piece in this offense.

Defensively, as we saw, the Blue Raiders pitched a shutout last week vs the Mustangs. Walker Valley, though, obviously has a struggling offense, so take what you will from that game. Zach Turner finally broke out last week as a key defender on the team after his season began hampered by injuries. If the Blue Raider defense can work hard and not take plays off, they’ll be just fine against a struggling Heritage football team.

X-Factors

Robert Flowers, WR: Robert has been the best player in the Blue Raider offense if you’re looking at the entire season. But the last two games, he’s had some key drops in some key moments. Some of these drops can be attributed to his injuries, but Robert will tell you himself…he expects himself to catch everything thrown his way. And for the most part, he’s one of the most sure handed receivers you’ll see in the area. Look for Robert to once again tear up the opposing defense this week. Give him 200 receiving yards and 2 scores.

Parker Chastain, DB: Parker has quietly had a great year for the Blue Raiders. He may not get the love that other Cleveland players do, but he deserves it. Chastain definitely won’t wow you with his height, but he’s a smart, hard-nosed competitor who doesn’t quit. He’s one tackle shy of the team lead in tackles this year. Look for Parker to fly to the ball time and time again this week. Give him 10 tackles and a pick.

Heritage:

Obviously, the Mountaineers have struggled. But their glaring admirable quality is their work ethic. Senior Ethan Foister is seen as the swiss army knife for the Mountaineer offense. He began the year at quarterback before switching to nearly every position on the field before returning under center last week. If the Mountaineers have any chance at an upset this week, look for Foister to lead the charge.

X Factors

Ethan Foister, QB: As previously mentioned, Foister is going to need to have a breakout game in order for the Heritage team to prevail. I just don’t see it happening for him this week.

It’s going to be a fun game to watch. Cleveland is going to fly all around the field this week, and I think they will win even more convincingly than last week.

Cleveland 55, Heritage 10

About the Writer
Drew Cook, Producer

Drew Cook is a senior at Cleveland High School. He’s been a part of the CHSLive program since 8th grade. Drew’s the play-by-play commentator for football and basketball games for CHSLive. He’s also heavily involved in Westmore Church of God. He sings in the praise band and has a leadership role in his youth drama team. Drew plans to continue his dream of becoming a sports journalist for ESPN after high school. After graduation, he will be attending Lee University in the Fall of 2019, majoring in Journalism and Sports Management.