CHSLive

Cleveland VS Bradley – Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cleveland VS Bradley – Recap

September 14th, 2018

The Cleveland Blue Raiders Football Class of 2019 would get one last shot at knocking down the Bradley Central Bears, something they had yet to do in their careers. You could feel the intensity in the air, the adrenaline seeping through every Cleveland student, staff, and fan. Could their Blue Raiders finally get a win against their cross town rivals?

But that was just on one side of the field…

On the other side, you had the Bradley students, staff, and fans… they had beaten Cleveland every year since 2015… they had all the confidence in the world that their football team would do it again… and once again be kings of the county. Never did they doubt their teams willingness and talent. They were ready to see their team take the field.

… and so it began.

The Blue Raiders and the Bradley Bears faced off under the friday night lights with over 10,000 people in attendance. It started off great for the Raiders… star studded DB David Dorsey laid out Bears QB1 Dylan Standifer on the first play of the game. Standifer was badly shaken up and had to exit the game for a few plays.

The rest of the first quarter was filled with a LOT of mistakes from both teams, but ultimately led to the score being 0-0 at the end of it. Neither offense seemed to want to take control of the game.

The Bears took a 14-0 lead in the second quarter, their touchdowns were scored by Saylor Clark and Ricky McCleary respectively. After McCleary’s TD, Cleveland was able to put 6 on the board after a nice kickoff return. Jackson Moore found Junior WR Robert Flowers in the endzone followed by a Kevin Gomez Extra-Point conversion to make the game 14-7 at the half

Cleveland Received the ball at the start of the 2nd half, and things did not start out the way they wanted. After a quick 3-and-out and a 19 yard punt, the Bradley Offense had the ball at Cleveland’s 33 yard line. Nine plays later, give the Bears 6 more points to make it 20-7 after a missed extra-point try.

The Raiders were not giving up just yet.

They fired right back in just 4 plays… Jackson Moore to Robert Flowers once again.. this time from 44 yards out… to make it a one possession game, 20-14. Both of Flowers’ touchdowns combined to be over half of the Blue Raiders 154 total yards in the game.

The Bradley defense was SUFFOCATING the run game all night, allowing the Raiders Duo of Jeffrey Perez and Josiah Bowman 25 yards on 23 carries. The rest is pretty simple.  The Blue Raiders failed to find the end zone the rest of the game, and the Bears kept racking up the points. McCleary continued running it down the throat of Cleveland’s defense, McCleary ran it in from 46 yards out, and Standifer hit big 6’5 Sophomore WR Tray Curry in the end zone to ultimately give the Bears the Victory, 32-14

Just like that, the Raiders lost once again to their Cross town rivals for the 4th straight year, falling to 1-3 on the season, and the Bears reaching 2-2.

The Blue Raiders travel to winless Walker Valley this Friday in a matchup of two struggling Bradley County teams.

About the Writer
Leo Castro, Staff

Leo Castro is a senior at Cleveland High School. He's an active part of the Environmental Awareness Activists club at the School. He enjoys sports and...